Speech recordings and annotation
Return to: Experimental Phonetics
Phonetic alignment of continuous speech recordings (using computer tools)
Tool: Annotation Pro
Class 03, instructions:
- please look for The North Wind.. in your language(s) at http://www.ua.ac.be/main.aspx?c=.EDINBURGHIPA&n=34916
- listen to several recordings
- open examples in Annotation Pro and look at the spectrogram – what can you observe? download Turkish
- recording quality issues
- recording your own voices in an office environment
Class 04: Multilayer annotation of speech recordings using Annotation Pro
- open wave file (your own voice recording)
- save annotation as…. (the same name as wave)3. name the 1st annotation layer “ort_phrases”
- create a new annotation layer and name it “ort_words”
- create a new annotation layer and name it “English”
- transcribe the text orthographically in your own language (“ort_phrases” layer)
- write the English transcription (time-aligned to the phrases in “ort_phrases” layer)
- transcribe the text phonetically in the “ort_phrases” layer using SAMPA (or another phonetic alphabet)
1. A visit in a recording studio. Recording voices
2. Annotation – continued
1. Exporting annotation data to a spreadsheet.
2. Measuring word durations (actual values, means).
3. Plotting durations in a spreadsheet (task: plot word durations for the first 2 sentences of your recordings).